[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Sun Jan 19 13:25:36 UTC 2014
Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. <eoconnor25 at gmail.com>

On 01/19/2014 07:33 AM, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 19/01/14 05:41, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>>> Sigh..., It's complicated.   I want stability and reliable security
>>> updates. But I don't like  being dependent on any single entity to
>>> provide that. Maybe that goes back to relying on some AT&T unix
>>> systems in what seems like another life.   Even though semi-compatible
>>> alternatives were available, being forced to change was somewhat
>>> painful.   So I don't necessarily want wide-open, just a little more
>>> open than being married.
>>>
>>> I don't really think the CentOS team has an evil plan here, but they
>>> should take it as a compliment that I think they are smart enough to
>>> fool me if they did want to do something like inject a hidden backdoor
>>> with their builds.  But, the bigger question is where it leaves us if
>>> they just decide to quit after assimilating most of the related
>>> systems under a build ecosystem that no one else can reproduce easily.
>>>
>> Maybe it might be a good idea to do some research on Debian
>> systems?...and using them for file and system servers?......I'm just
>> sayin' LoL!
>>

> When there is discernible evidence of a deterioration of service, maybe.
> But until then it's all just FUD.
>
> If anything, the evidence currently points to a vastly improved picture
> since the delays of a few releases back. Back then there was cause for
> concern. At present I see far less cause for concern. Of course things
> can change, but at present I see no reason to be concerned. I've never
> been very good at predicting the future so I will stick to looking at
> what the present is telling me, and currently the CentOS team are doing
> a good job on delivering the core product in a timely fashion. That is a
> metric I can measure today and it tells me something meaningful. IF that
> changes and things observably deteriorate then there are alternatives
> but I'd rather make decisions based on what I observe today rather than
> predictions about what might happen in the future.

Well I for one will not be "jumping ship" anytime in the foreseeable
future. CEntOS (wish they would change the way it appears to the
world...the "e" should be capitalized...as the "OS" is....its the start
of a real word!....but I digress!) CEntOS has been good to me....and has
never given me problems since installing it at 6.0's release. If
anything this should solidify the fact that CEntOS is TRULY an
"Enterprise Class" OS available to the masses from a Community that has
the (strength?....clout?....resources?) of Red Hat Enterprise
Linux...(this might make my taking the RHCSA a bit easier
too!.......(wonder if there are any CEntOS certification exams?.....or
would that be an "over-saturation" of the market?....like...if you're
not RHCSA approved...then you go for "second string" CEntOS?......maybe
its better to NOT have one then!...)

EGO II