[CentOS] Problem installing Centos 6.4/6.5 from USB stick seen as HDD by BIOS

Thu Jan 23 09:51:09 UTC 2014
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 1/23/14, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

> can you use -o remount in the mount command?

For some odd reason, my current attempt to do this had no problem
mounting the install USB drive. Which then led me to realize that the
problem is something else.

After figuring out where anaconda keeps log, I found that the error
isn't that it couldn't find the drive. Rather, it couldn't find the
file:

media/repodata/0dafccfdbf892f02acca8267ade4bdcee7280a682e65dc7e29145f3341fd7a8c-primary.sqlite.bz2

(the target machine doesn't have network so there might be typo in the
filename due to manual copy)

listing the USB drive shows that the repodata directory has the file
BUT missing the -primary.sqlite.bz2 extension. In fact, none of the
human-unfriendly file names have any extension. In case it was an
error transferrring the ISO to USB, I checked the ISO and found that
the repodata directory appears the same.

In comparison, browsing online mirrors such as
http://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/CentOS/6.5/os/x86_64/repodata/ shows all
the similar looking files have extensions.

But the ISO's md5/sha1 checksums are correct.

Based on the information in TRANS.TBL, I added the extensions to the
files and anaconda was able to proceed to the package selection.

I will start a new email to check if there is a problem with the ISO on mirrors.