[CentOS] NIS or not?

Wed Jan 29 09:49:51 UTC 2014
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

My Google Fu is usually okay. ;-)

We've started offing physical servers in favour of virtual ones. So far mostly
Windows servers, but I've started testing e.g.  Owncloud on a virtualized
CentOS guest.  More Linux-machines are likely to be virtualized in due time.
We (well, I actually...) decided on standardizing on Hyper-V as there was a
really good P2V-tool available for migrating Windows servers. We had lots of
them...

> Note: I didn't catch it are you using the Microsoft's implementation of
> Kerberos?

We do have a Windows AD in place, it's the main IT here, but it's soon to be
migrated to the central university IT-dept. One less thing to worry about...
*nix was originally only a group-business at the dept., but over the years the
Linux-ratio has upped considerably, what with backup-servers etc. running on
Linux as well as us affording more machines for the original CADD-group.

> There's a reason I ask, you said you need to do something,, sounds like
> fairly quick, probably a good thing,
> if nothing else get centralization = control! - more so -- than before ~
> and so it goes, you will have encapsulated
> tickets on steroids, to be sure.. but if you're the only person.. is
> your shop that big that SSL wouldn't do the trick?

SSL? How do you mean? Can you elaborate a bit?

--
//Sorin