[CentOS] Single sign-on for CentOS-6

Wed Jan 29 16:23:20 UTC 2014
Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On 01/29/2014 06:51 AM, James B. Byrne wrote:
>> I would have to ask why you're doing such a thing in the first place?  You
>> have a perfectly good working Active Directory setup, that people are already
>> familiar with, I suspect with existing MS clients which integrate fully (and
>> "properly") and you want to replace it with a Samba based setup.  Unless you
>> have a relatively simple setup, I would say don't change.  However, if you are
>> looking to move to something else, then do that.  Why fix to Samba?  Why not
>> go with a full on Kerberos/LDAP environment?
>>
>> FWIW, we use CentOS 6 with Active Directory Authorization.  Things have worked
>> fine for us for about 1 year.  It took a VERY long time to get setup and
>> working, but it is now.
> The main reason is the age of the equipment and software.  The current domain
> controller host is from c.2004 and the software is Microsoft Advanced Server
> 2000.  The Windows 7 workstations work with this AD but there are a few
> quirks.
>
> As the equipment is well past its best before date we need to replace it. We
> have virtualised just about everything else saving only the desktop
> workstations and this is another candidate for virtualisation.
>
> As a company we are moving everything we can to FOSS and away from proprietary
> interests.  Therefore the combination of moving from MS-AS2000 and a dedicated
> host to Samba4 running on a virtualised guest seems an attractive option,
> provided that it works.  Thus my question.

As a CentOS/Linux shop serving clients who are primarily Windows-based,
this is also attractive to us. However, initial research indicates that
while it probably can work, it's by no means trivial.

EG: http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=07B0DED3-A627-9A9A-C05097D23C5FD44F

Our intentions (round tuit, etc) at this point are probably to work with
Windows Live in more of a "client" role for SSO, though we haven't
started, it's a second-level priority at this point. Personally, I'd
love to see a website/project put together to document the needs and
solutions of corporate/enterprise level Samba4 users, but I'm not aware
of such already existing.

Ben