[CentOS] OT hardware question

Fri Jan 31 23:31:44 UTC 2014
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 4:30 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

>> The price is still right for CentOS 5.x...  Why not reinstall and
>> ignore it for another 3 years?  Even if RH backports the breakage to
>> the older driver you could probably keep using an older module.
>
> We're trying to get rid of all 5.x servers, either by upgrade, or
> surplusing the hardware. We could, I suppose, set up some ancient boxes;
> of course, they'd have to be on ups's (the power blips every bloody day in
> this building, usually early morning), and it's a waste to run a rackmount
> server for just that... and there'd have to be one in each room.

I'm missing something about the relationship of the OS to the
hardware.  Are you running other stuff on the current boxes and just
stealing a usb port for a nearby camera or what?  Seems easy enough to
just reinstall 5.x on the hardware you have otherwise.   Hmm, wonder
how well KVM handles giving a USB port to a guest?

> And my manager feels, I guess, that he has the budget, if we can find
> something in our price range.

If you've already put in the time to make a working system why not
squeeze as much out of it as you can?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com