[CentOS] corruption of in-memory data detected (xfs)

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Wed Jul 2 04:40:01 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
| I had similar issue:
| A nfs server with XFS as the FS for backup of a very large system.
| I have a 2TB raid-1 volume and I started rsync the backup and then
| somewhere I got this issue.
| There were lots of files there and the system has 8GB of ram and
| CentOS
| 6.5 64bit.
| I didn't bother to look at the issue due to the fact that ReiserFS
| was
| just OK with it without any issues.
|
| I never new about the inode64 option, is it only on the mount options
| or
| also on the mkfs.xfs command?
|
| Also in a case I want to test it again what would be a recommendation
| not crash the system when there is lot's of memory in use?
|
| Thanks,
| Eliezer

inode64 is a mount time option and it is a one way option as well.  Once you mounted a filesystem with inode64 you can't go back.  It has to do with inode allocation.  If you have older operating systems mounting a filesystem with inode64 will lead to "odd behaviour" because it allows the inodes to be allocated anywhere in the filesystem instead of "stuck" within the first 1TB.  inode64 leads to better filesystem performance for large filesystems.  Nothing need be done during the mkfs portion.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

To be original seek your inspiration from unexpected sources.