[CentOS] Still won't boot - Re: remote yum update aborted with session closing - won't boot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 2 12:32:13 UTC 2014

On 07/01/2014 06:25 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:19:32 -0400
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> How do I trouble shoot this?  I am assuming that I only got a partially
>> completed update.
> Try yum-complete-transaction and see what happens.

Well it looks like all the updates 'took'  /etc/redhat-release now
reports ver 6.5.

But still getting a kernel panic and boot failing.  I can fall back to
the prior kernel and it will boot.  So I tried to copy the lines off the
monitor, as nothing is getting logged:

IOMMU: failed to mpa dmn 0
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown_block (0,0)
Pid:1, comm swapper Tainted: G  -------------} 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.i686 #1

then a a number of dump lines.

The kernel that is working (only other one listed in menu) is:
2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686