[CentOS] Still won't boot - Re: remote yum update aborted with session closing - won't boot

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jul 2 14:03:50 UTC 2014

On 07/02/2014 09:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 02.07.2014 15:19, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

>>> why don' t you just remove any package from the new kernel
>>> which don't work anyways and after that "yum upgrade" again?
>> Always can count on you for good insight, Harald.
> that's why i am not allowed to post on this list :-)
Why does this not supprise me?

>> But how do I determine what package from the new kernel is not working to erase and reinstall?  If I erase it, will
>> yum upgrade really fix it?  Do I erase the new kernel then install it again?
> frankly you asking what i have said and even quote it

For you it is clear what 'broken means'.  I have the same problem
talking secure identities inside my company.  It is clear to me, but
others just miss the important points.  And you get frustrated going
back to 'basic principles' and teaching them again....

So thanks for putting up with me, who rarely has to dig into these parts
of systems.

>> But how do I determine what package from the new kernel
> no idea what is unclear in "remove any package from the new kernel"
> which maybe kernel, kernel-headers, kernel-devel.....

Ah, perhaps my dyslexia, but I was wondering what drivers or other
things I might have to contend with.  If it is 'just' kernel* I can deal
with that.

>> Do I erase the new kernel then install it again
> i said: and after that "yum upgrade" again
>
> man if you remove that broken packages a "yum upgrade" pulls them simply as if
> they where never be installed and the rpmscripts will generate a new initrd

Again, a bit of 'magic' here that 'yum upgrade' knows what should be
present and sees to it that these packages get installed.  Again,
thinking that more than kernel* would need to be removed, then how would
it get reinstalled?

So off I go try again.  The box had been off for a year; it was a DNSSEC
tester (I need to replace my router(s), I think to get DNSSEC working
right, and that project is on hold).  So it was quite back-leveled.  If
I end up needing to do a reinstall because I stumbled, so be it as a
learning lesson.