[CentOS] How to enable sound for other users but the one who owns the current session

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 3 02:13:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 00:37 +0200, wwp wrote:
> Hello there!
>

> I'm trying to get sound from applications running from other users bug
> the one who owns the current GNOME sessions.
>
> Typically, my default user is "A" and he's running the GNOME session,
> logged in graphically. From this session, I open terminals, su to other
> users (B or C, non-root) and run mplayer or firefox. No sound for these.
>
> Adding those users to the "audio" group didn't help. Any idea how to do
> this?

>From very limited experience where I attempted it and got this to work
with some semblance of reliability once long ago I can tell you that it
involves something around:
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1

This implies the pulse server must provide a local network service and
the clients must be configured to connect to this server.

Updating default.pa in .pulse directories and granting access to pulse*
groups also rings a bell.
Sadly I kept few notes on this so can only find this hint at present.
There must be better ways to do it and if you get it working I would be
keen to know how, so please provide feedback.
I also recall murmurs of security issues around shared pulse services,
obviously more so if the ip is not localhost, so consider that too.