[CentOS] Miredo server for Centos 6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:20:49 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

>> Have you tried the simple-minded approach of downloading the fedora
>> src rpm and doing an 'rpmbuild --rebuild' of it?  Sometimes all it
>> take to make that work is installing whatever dependencies are
>> missing, sometimes that turns out to be difficult or impossible,
>> depending on required versions and conflicts.   You might have a
>> better chance of making this work after Centos 7 is out, though.
>>
> For various reasons I lean toward installing software over doing my own
> builds.  No one else is going to do the write ups I need for
> management.

Sure, but the rpm package you get from rebuilding an existing fedora
source rpm is going to be essentially the same thing you'd get if the
maintainer built it for centos6/EPEL.   That is, all of the things
that would make it 'your' build have already been done by someone else
and coded in the spec file.   If it works...

> I have been asked to setup a testbed to show how this works
> now, and I have not seen that Miredo is any more available for Centos
> 7.  Also the datacenter where my testbed would be moved to will be on
> Centos 6 for some time.
>
> But you might have more knowledge Miredo for Centos 7 than I do...

Not specifically about those, but just in terms of compatibility
between a fedora src rpm and the Centos environment.   A lot of things
have changed in libraries and rpm syntax between centos 6 and current
fedora so you are fairly likely to have some problems rebuilding an
unmodified src rpm.   On the other hand you should still be able to
find fedora 19 src rpms and that environment should be very similar to
Centos 7.  So the rpmbuild would be much more likely to 'just work' -
with the result also being very likely to be compatible with what
would land in EPEL if the maintainer decides to add it.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com