[CentOS] Miredo server for Centos 6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jul 3 17:36:37 UTC 2014

On 07/03/2014 01:20 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>>> Have you tried the simple-minded approach of downloading the fedora
>>> src rpm and doing an 'rpmbuild --rebuild' of it?  Sometimes all it
>>> take to make that work is installing whatever dependencies are
>>> missing, sometimes that turns out to be difficult or impossible,
>>> depending on required versions and conflicts.   You might have a
>>> better chance of making this work after Centos 7 is out, though.
>>>
>> For various reasons I lean toward installing software over doing my own
>> builds.  No one else is going to do the write ups I need for
>> management.
> Sure, but the rpm package you get from rebuilding an existing fedora
> source rpm is going to be essentially the same thing you'd get if the
> maintainer built it for centos6/EPEL.   That is, all of the things
> that would make it 'your' build have already been done by someone else
> and coded in the spec file.   If it works...
>
>> I have been asked to setup a testbed to show how this works
>> now, and I have not seen that Miredo is any more available for Centos
>> 7.  Also the datacenter where my testbed would be moved to will be on
>> Centos 6 for some time.
>>
>> But you might have more knowledge Miredo for Centos 7 than I do...
> Not specifically about those, but just in terms of compatibility
> between a fedora src rpm and the Centos environment.   A lot of things
> have changed in libraries and rpm syntax between centos 6 and current
> fedora so you are fairly likely to have some problems rebuilding an
> unmodified src rpm.   On the other hand you should still be able to
> find fedora 19 src rpms and that environment should be very similar to
> Centos 7.  So the rpmbuild would be much more likely to 'just work' -
> with the result also being very likely to be compatible with what
> would land in EPEL if the maintainer decides to add it.

Ah, so taking the src from remlab.net might not successfully build.
Putting up a Centos 7 beta (I could redo rigel to C7) and getting the
F19 source, I should be more successful.  So where is miredo for F19?
Not at:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/19/Fedora/source/SRPMS/m/

I know it is available for Fedora 20 as finished rpms.