[CentOS] Miredo server for Centos 6

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Thu Jul 3 18:16:26 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 12:20 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Have you tried the simple-minded approach of downloading the fedora
> >> src rpm and doing an 'rpmbuild --rebuild' of it?  Sometimes all it
> >> take to make that work is installing whatever dependencies are
> >> missing, sometimes that turns out to be difficult or impossible,
> >> depending on required versions and conflicts.   You might have a
> >> better chance of making this work after Centos 7 is out, though.
> >>
> > For various reasons I lean toward installing software over doing my own
> > builds.  No one else is going to do the write ups I need for
> > management.
>
> Sure, but the rpm package you get from rebuilding an existing fedora
> source rpm is going to be essentially the same thing you'd get if the
> maintainer built it for centos6/EPEL.   That is, all of the things
> that would make it 'your' build have already been done by someone else
> and coded in the spec file.   If it works...

First a note to Robert: miredo-server is a separate rpm package, but it
is built from the same source rpm as the other miredo packages.

I donloaded the src rpm for Fedora 20. That package depends on having
systemd (so it would most likely work on RHEL7).
If I remove the systemd references (the requires/ build requires and
the .service files) it builds without any more issues. If you can create
your own init files you should be all set.

The changelog says:
Tue Apr 24 2012 Jon Ciesla <limburgher at gmail.com> - 1.1.7-8 - Migrate to
systemd, BZ 789782.
so if you take a Fedora 1.1.7-7 or earlier src rpm, you could probably
easily take the spec file and use the 1.2.6 tar file to build a working
setup

regards, Louis