[CentOS] cannot hibernate, not enough swap

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Sun Jul 6 21:30:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Rob Kampen wrote:

> On 07/07/2014 06:55 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> The last couple time I tried to hibernate, I got an error message:
>>> PM: Not enough free swap
>> I find that hard to believe:
>> [hennebry at localhost doc]$ free -m
>>                total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>> Mem:          3833       1124       2709          0         51        286
>> -/+ buffers/cache:        786       3047
>> Swap:        11453        356      11097
>> [hennebry at localhost doc]$
>> 1124+786+356=2266< 11097
>>
>> How do I figure out what is going on and fix it?
>>
> How much RAM do you have?

4G.

In any case, for whatever reason, hibernate likes me now.
It let me hibernate after the free -m given and also just now.

>From previous failures, I found the "PM: Not enough free swap" in messages,
but nothing to show how much swap it thought it needed.
In the future, I will run free -m before trying to hibernate.

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods