[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-7 on x86_64

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Jul 7 21:01:54 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 04:53 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 07.07.2014 22:48, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
>> On 07/07/2014 04:28 PM, Jeremy Hoel wrote:
>>> It's derived from Redhat 7,.. CentOS is always derived from Redhat
>>> Enterprise Linux.  Fedora is normally a preview of the next upcoming RHEL
>>> release.
>> Until recently, RHEL really lagged behind Fedora.  With RHEL 7, they
>> seemed to have taken on walking the talk and being as current as
>> possible (F19 was the current release when RHEL7 development seemed to
>> have started).  It is great that this leap forward was made.  Of course
>> has the 'service' command been replaced with 'systemd'?  That will be a
>> big shock to Centos admins
> what shock?
>
> systemd was introduced in Fedora 15
> current is Fedora 20
> most distributions switched to systemd
> so there is nothing new

And thus it is not in RHEL 6.  If an admin has not been working with
Fedora, then there is no experience with it.  Plus it was easy to ignore
systemctl in Fedora for a while, though by F18 it was hard to say the least.

> nobody forces you to upgrade to RHEL7
> RHEL6 is maintained for many years
>
> any Fedora release contains a wrapper for "service"
> as well as RHEL7 does

Yes the wrapper is there, but at least on Fedora, I notice that related
items like chkconfig no longer worked as well, and I really needed to
buckle down and learn systemctl.

> service httpd status
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status  httpd.service
> httpd.service - Apache Webserver

Which was a great hint to figure out what this systemctl was all about.