[CentOS] beeps and a slow boot

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Jul 8 16:02:31 UTC 2014

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Pete Travis wrote:

> Asus and the like don't make BIOS, they get it from AMI or Phoenix or
> whatever.  It will usually say in POST screens or in the setup itself;
> failing that, it  might be etched on the chip itself.

Thanks.  That enabled me to find
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

> In my experience, though, 97% of problems whose symptoms include beep codes
> are memory issues.  Well, maybe that's a contrived figure, but it is enough
> that I'd look for spare memory first and a beep code reference after.

The beep codes say memory.
I ran memtest86 overnight and it passed.
That said, I'm not sure how good memtest86 is.
Could you suggest a memory test program that might find
in a few hours what POST found in less than two minutes?

To me, cracking the case is a *really* big deal.
I don't want to do it unless I know I have to.
Static, ribbons, fear and trepidation.
I certainly do not want to have to buy some more DDR2 memory.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Also good.

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods