[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Jul 8 16:17:20 UTC 2014

On 07/08/2014 11:05 AM, Russell Miller wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2014, at 7:58 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> and the next one talking before try to get informations
>> there is no monolithic daemon damned
>>
>> there is one project with one source tree maintaining
>> a lot of daemons and binaries - so be quite before
>> you tried to learn some basics
> Generally when people get personal I figure I must have hit a nerve.
>
> I must have hit a nerve.
>
> I didn't say it was windows-like.  I said it was more windows-like than I was
> comfortable with.   Even with multiple daemons, It's still not very transparent,
> somewhat incomrehensible, documented poorly while still managing to have
> voluminous documentation, dumps stuff everywhere, and is just generally
> annoying.
>
> Even its sysv compatibility is incomplete.  It runs sysv scripts, but in such a
> way as to break any but the simplest.  I've run into situations where I've actually
> had to make a systemd unit because it broke the script, and I couldn't fix it.  The
> script was fine, ran perfectly if you just ran it, and systemd did... *something*...
> to it.  I still haven't figured out what.  And debugging is an absolute pain.

I am also struggling with this and the HIPL code (on F20).  If you just
start the services, it takes about 5 min to complete.  If you just run
the programs and tell them to drop into the background it is a handful
of seconds.  Strip out comments from the script and it starts right up
with systemctl.  Huh?  What is going on?  I was told that systemctl does
seem to try and make 'sense' out of comments...