[CentOS] beeps and a slow boot

Pete Travis lists at petetravis.com
Tue Jul 8 16:29:06 UTC 2014

On Jul 8, 2014 10:02 AM, "Michael Hennebry" <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>
wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Pete Travis wrote:
>
> > Asus and the like don't make BIOS, they get it from AMI or Phoenix or
> > whatever.  It will usually say in POST screens or in the setup itself;
> > failing that, it  might be etched on the chip itself.
>
> Thanks.  That enabled me to find
> http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
>
> > In my experience, though, 97% of problems whose symptoms include beep
codes
> > are memory issues.  Well, maybe that's a contrived figure, but it is
enough
> > that I'd look for spare memory first and a beep code reference after.
>
> The beep codes say memory.
> I ran memtest86 overnight and it passed.
> That said, I'm not sure how good memtest86 is.
> Could you suggest a memory test program that might find
> in a few hours what POST found in less than two minutes?
>
> To me, cracking the case is a *really* big deal.
> I don't want to do it unless I know I have to.
> Static, ribbons, fear and trepidation.
> I certainly do not want to have to buy some more DDR2 memory.
>

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>
> > http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm
>
> Also good.
>
> --
> Michael   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
> "SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
> reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
> goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods

Just to reiterate :  *no matter what* the book says the beep code is, the
actual problem is usually memory.

Sometimes you have to run memtest for days before it sees anything.
Sometimes, you just need to open the chassis, clear out the fuzz, and
reseat the memory.  If you're that adverse to cracking the case, I'm
guessing you're due for it.

--Pete