[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu
Tue Jul 8 16:36:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Les, this is the wrong question to ask.  The question I ask is 'What
> will be my return on investment be, in potentially lower costs, to run
> my programs in a different way?'  If there is no ROI, or a really long
> ROI, well, I still have C6 to run until 2020 while I invest the time in
> determining if a new way is better or not.  Fact is that all of the
> major Linux distributions are going this way; do you really think all of
> them would change if this change were stupid?

Yes. Look at Microsoft and Windows 8 and a similar attitude of "get over
it, and just buy it". I'm not surprised that the head developer
was terminated days after its release. Lemmings think jumping off a
cliff is a good idea, too. Several designers thinking its a good idea
and implementing it across the board does NOT mean it's a good idea to the
end user.

> Even the Unix philosophy was new at one point.  Just because it works
> doesn't mean it's the best that can be found.

The Unix philosophy is not new, but blossomed after Windows put a
stranglehold on everything else.

> Consistency is not the only goal.  Efficiency should trump consistency,

I am darn sick and tired about hearing of "efficiency". Efficiency does
not 100% translate to effective productivity. Furthermore, user
satisfaction is not counted into efficiency. I have heard people complain
about air conditioners with extremely high efficiencies. The problem is
that they don't put out much cold air. If the product is ineffective,
very hard to work with, but efficient...I'd far rather use something much
less cumbersome and effective but being less efficient. That translates
to higher productivity and satisfaction, which you really want.
Effectiveness and satisfaction should go hand in hand with efficiency,
every time.

> (Leaving part of my .sig in for a change, as I'm wearing the CIO hat in
> this post.)

People will vote with their feet on this. And, that "old white men" are
complaining about this is ageist, racist, and demeaning to EVERYONE. I am
really disappointed in Red Hat saying this, far more than the
whole systemd concerns. As others have stated, change for the sake of
change isn't good. Slapping across the face your primary customer base
with deep insults isn't good, even if the customers are horribly wrong,
which is quite the opposite here. And trying to splash perfume on a
steaming dogpile is absurd.

Don't worry, if this attitude continues with Red Hat, I won't let my rear
hit the exit on the way out. And I'll do the best sort of advertising for
this that I can: tell others the nonsense that is occurring, and to stay
far away from it...

Gilbert