[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 20:19:04 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>> Unless you are offering to do that for me, for free,  on all my
>> systems, having to do it certainly does take something away.
>
> then just don't upgrade to RHEL7
> so what

I expect our systems to  still have services running past 2020.

>> Generally speaking, if a service is broken to the point that it needs
>> something to automatically restart it I'd rather have it die
>> gracefully and not do surprising things until someone fixes it. But
>> then again, doesn't mysqld manage to accomplish that in a
>> fully-compatible manner on Centos6?
>
> generally speaking if my webserver dies for whatever reason
> in want it to get restarted *now* and seek for the reason
> while the services are up and running

Then I hope I'm never a customer of that service that doesn't
know/care why it is failing.  I consider it a much better approach to
let you load balancing shift the connections to predictably working
servers.

> generally speaking: there is more than only mysqld on that world
>
> generally speaking if i restart a server i want SSH tunnels
> to them get restarted on other machines automatically, see below

Seems awkward, compared to openvpn.

> generally speaking if the OpenVPN service on the location some
> hundret kilometers away fails because the poor internet
> connection their i want it to be restarted

You don't have to restart openvpn to have it reconnect itself after
network outages.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com