[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Oliver Schad centos at automatic-server.com
Tue Jul 8 23:01:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014 14:34:49 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Jonathan Billings
> <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 01:22:54PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> And more to the point, /usr isn't supposed t be needed until you
> >> are past the point of mounting all filesystems so you can boot from
> >> something tiny.  Doesn't modprobe need its files earlier than that?
> >
> > I think that a lot of these objections are addressed here:
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/
>
> Ummm, 'addressed' by pointing out that a whole bunch of the changes
> fedora has made break things that are expected to work in unix-like
> systems.   I fail to see how that helps with the problem.

And the text contains several weaknesses. I've personally checked the
statement for the 23 dependencies from udev rules to /usr in Fedora 15.
Maybe my Fedora 15 was something strange but there was none dependency
inside.

And for me it's ok to blame the small environment in / for some special
udev rules they might exist somewhere. But a solution would be a staged
Udev, which would be simple to solve.

A small problem, a small solution.

The other "arguments" have the same quality. To have a /usr on a
central NFS server doesn't seem to be a case for such idiots.

The binary size of systemd is now more than 1.1 MB - for a central
service which will kill your system if it's not rock solid. For a
comparison: an apache web server is less than 500 kB.

Best Regards
Oli