[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 9 17:50:10 UTC 2014

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 07/09/2014 01:00 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>> i find the biggest part of server POST is all the storage and network
>> adapter bios's need to get in there, scan the storage busses,
>> enumerate raids, initialize intel boot agents, and so forth.
>
> I've found that disabling all but the boot device's BIOS works wonders
> and makes installs far happier, with the exception of real hardware RAID
> cards.  The Linux kernel is quite happy doing any and all fibre-channel
<snip>
To me, what takes the most time on POST, far and away, is memory. We had a
box - Dell, I *think*, but it might have been a Penguin (Supermicro) that
took close to 20 min, before we turned off the memory check (well, yes,
256GB RAM)....

What I wish didn't take so long is the raid-45? driver, which seems to
take forever, and always has.

        mark