[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Veli-Pekka Kestilä centos at vpk.nu
Wed Jul 9 20:01:29 UTC 2014

On 9.7.2014 22:46, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> On the other hand, restarting can be the *wrong* answer for some things.
>>> For example, a bunch of our sites use SiteMinder from CA*. I do *not*
>>> restart httpd; I stop it, and wait half a minute or so to make sure
>>> sitenanny has shut down correctly and completely, closed all of its
>>> sockets, and released all of its IPC semaphores and shared memory
>>> segments, and *then* start it up. Otherwise, no happiness.
>>>
>>> * And CA appears to have never heard of selinux, and isn't that great
>>> with linux in general....
>> My limited understanding you are actually describing problem which systemd
>> should be answer. It should take care of these things for you. Now you
>> wait minute or two which is wrong way of doing it. Right way would be
>> script that actually checks that nothing of the stuff is left around. It's
>> same kind of hack solution that restarting dying service is. Sometimes
>> hack solutions are needed and sometimes not.
> No, the *correct* answer I cannot begin to push, since I don't have an
> account with CA, and so can't file a bug against *THEIR* commercial $$$
> crap code, and the one time I tried to push the team who actually owns it,
> they sort of mentioned it to CA (maybe, or maybe they were just lying to
> me), and it got blown off.
>
> And no, not when we have this many servers, and my job depends on doing it
> correctly.
So you actually go trough everytime to make sure that all the things are
properly closed and shut down instead of just waiting few minutes? As
sometimes something could go wrong and waiting few minutes isn't enough.
I would prefer the software to do it for me. Even more prefer someone
else to write it so that I can do all the other things I need to do and
not bill customer of busywork of reinventing the wheel. It's pipedream
that broken software is fixed so I am glad of any solutions which help
deal with it.

-vpk