[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Thu Jul 10 13:39:40 UTC 2014

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at ...> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at ...> wrote:
> >
> > Am 08.07.2014 17:58, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> >>
> >> Sorry, but I'd recommend that anyone who thinks shell syntax is
> >> 'messy' just stay away from unix-like systems instead of destroying
> >> the best parts of them
> >
> > WTF - you can place a shell-script in ExecStart and
> > set type to 'oneshot' - nobody is taking anything
> > away from you
>
> Unless you are offering to do that for me, for free,  on all my
> systems, having to do it certainly does take something away.

> >> What part of i/o redirection does the shell not handle well for you?
> >
> > wtaht part of monitoring did you not understand?
>
> Generally speaking, if a service is broken to the point that it needs
> something to automatically restart it I'd rather have it die
> gracefully and not do surprising things until someone fixes it.   But
> then again, doesn't mysqld manage to accomplish that in a
> fully-compatible manner on Centos6?

Can't find the original post so replying and agreeing with Les.  Have the
same ongoing problem with radvd.  When My IPv6 tunnel provider burps, the
tunnel drops.  The tunnel daemon usually reconnects but radvd stays down.
Solution:

*/12 * * * * /sbin/service radvd status > /dev/null 2>&1 || /sbin/service
radvd start 2>&1

in crontab.  How hard is that?  And without all of the systemd nonsense.

Cheers,
Dave