[CentOS] CentOS-7 on a USB stick

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at alice.it
Thu Jul 10 18:20:08 UTC 2014

I tried dd-ing the ISO onto a USB stick, as suggested in
<http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7>,
but it didn't boot.
Did anyone have better luck with this?

In any case, I got it working by running livecd-iso-to-disk
on a Fedora-20 laptop.
I've found before that this is the best program around
for the purpose.

But I've 2 queries about this:

1. Why isn't this program available on CentOS?

2. I find it strange the using a USB stick
seems to be regarded as an out-of-the-ordinary idea.
Are people still burning CDs or DVDs? And if so why?

I would have thought the time had come
to make USB sticks the standard installation method?
Certainly it should be treated on a par with DVDs.

I have two HP MicroServers running under CentOS,
and these don't come with a DVD drive.
I assumed this was becoming more or less standard?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net