[CentOS] New binary package set for EL6 x86_64

Jonathan Perkin

jperkin at joyent.com
Fri Jul 11 11:23:55 UTC 2014

Hi users of EL6 based distributions,

I'm pleased to announce a new alternative binary package repository
for EL6 x86_64.  The aim is to provide a supplemental set of packages
which may contain software not included in your base system.

These packages are based on pkgsrc, a cross-platform package manager.

In this initial release there are 13,152 packages available.  For now
I am specifically targetting EL6/x86_64 (the build host is CentOS 6.5)
to see what kind of interest in this.  If there is reasonable interest
I can produce packages for other targets based on popularity.

To install, download and unpack the bootstrap kit:

  $ curl -s http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/packages/Linux/bootstrap/bootstrap-2014Q2-el6-x86_64.tar.gz | sudo tar -zxpf - -C /

Packages are self-contained under the /usr/pkg prefix:

  $ PATH=$PATH:/usr/pkg/sbin:/usr/pkg/bin
  $ MANPATH=$MANPATH:/usr/pkg/man

Included is the "pkgin" binary package manager, which has been
designed to operate similar to yum/apt-get:

  # Fetch latest database
  $ sudo pkgin update

  # Search for a package
  $ pkgin search tmux

  # Install it
  $ sudo pkgin install tmux

  # See what is available
  $ pkgin avail | less

Further details and similar binary package sets for SmartOS/illumos
and OSX can be found here:

  http://pkgsrc.joyent.com/

Feedback is highly appreciated!  Let me know if there is anything we
can do to improve these packages, or if they are unwelcome.  You can
email me or @jperkin, or alternatively get involved in the pkgsrc
community - our aim is to provide cross-platform packages for over 20
different operating systems from the same source tree.

Thanks,