[CentOS] Command Line Commands Aren't Working.....

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 01:41:51 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:09:55PM -0400, EGO-II.1 wrote:
> Ok so I've gone ahead and gotten CentOS to install to a Unetbootin USB,
> but when I go to install it from there and get the usual command prompt,
> I try to get a GUI by going "startx"...but I get an error that says
> "startx: command not found" How do I get the GUI to install from the
> Live usb? (Mind you I chose the netinstall since it was smaller!) I have
> tried everything I know...but cannot seem to get the GUI to come up.
> (This also includes the "yum groupinstall "Desktop environment" command
> which I’m told is ALSO not found!...what gives?) any advice or help
> anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

I put up a little page which gives, among other things, the packages you
need to get a basic X with dwm (which isn't in repos.)

My page is at http://srobb.net/minimaldesktop.html

What desktop are you expecting to get.

If you're looking for the standard Gnome desktop, it's probably something
like yum groupinstall 'Gnome Desktop' (or yum install
@gnome-desktop-environment)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6