[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Keith Keller kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Jul 15 04:50:18 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-15, Jonathan Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> I've been using systemd ever since it was introduced in Fedora, and
> the RHEL7 beta and CentOS7 final since it came out.  I could tell you
> about all the positive and negative experiences I've had.

I think this could be very useful, especially coming from someone who
was initially reluctant (as I and clearly others are).

> There's
> been a lot of misinformation posted on this list (such as the Windows
> Registry reference)[1].  I wouldn't want to make any decisions about
> systemd based on what I've seen on this list.

That's what I was concerned about.  :)  I certainly would try it for
myself first, but if I were to read a lot of people writing "I tried to
actually use systemd, and it was awful/fine/awesome" that would carry
some weight.

> However, I think you should try it out yourself.  I suggest giving it
> a try in a VM, or try one of the CentOS7 LiveCDs.  I was quite
> hesitant about systemd when I started using it, but it was experience
> that led me to be able to make good judgements about it.
>
> 1. See the systemd myths web page
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

In the interest of full disclosure, that page is written by one of the
primary authors of systemd, so we shouldn't expect an unbiased opinion.
(Not saying it's wrong, only that it's important to understand the
perspective an author might have.)

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us