[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Jul 15 15:54:07 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 11:33 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> This one does bother me. I may not want to restart a production
> instance of apache, when all I want it to do is reload the
> configuration files, so that one site changes while the others are all
> running happily as clams.

systemctl reload $unit

Documented in the systemctl(1) man page.

If the unit(s) you want to reload don't support that, and you want to
reload more than one unit's configuration in one command, you use
systemctl reload-or-restart $unit

(I've wanted that one for a while, and 'service' doesn't do that, along
with globbing of the name; that is 'systemctl reload-or-restart httpd*'
(with proper quoting) will restart or reload all running units that
match the glob; yeah, now on my load-balanced multiple-frontends plone
installation I could 'systemctl reload-or-restart plone-*' and it will
do the right thing, no matter how many frontend instances I have
selected for running....  That's actually pretty cool.

There are quite a few of the commands that systemctl supports that I
have wanted for 'service' for a long time.