[CentOS] Installing CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Thu Jul 17 05:05:01 UTC 2014

On 7/16/2014 11:55 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 07/16/2014 12:22 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> I did not see any way, during the CentOS7 install, to install the
>> CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition rather than to the MBR of a
>> drive. How does one do this in the installation of CentOS7 ?
>>

> See:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/sect-disk-partitioning-setup-x86.html
> and the section about selecting which disk on which to install the
> bootloader.  Specifically, there's a 'button' (looks more like a link in
> the screenshot) called "Full disk summary and bootloader" on the
> "Installation Destination"**screen, at the bottom.  I haven't tried this
> yet (but I will soon), but it would seem that by telling it the device
> on which /boot resides the bootloader will be installed there.

The documentation implies that when you tell it what device the
bootloader resides on that it will install the bootloader in the MBR of
that device. Otherwise how would it know where on that device to install
the bootloader ?

It does say that you may choose not to install a bootloader then another
application must boot the system. I use such another application (
Terabyte's BIBM ) so I will try that hoping that booting the code at the
beginning of the /boot partition will indeed boot CentOS7.

All other Linux distros I have allow you to choose a /boot partition in
which I can install that distro's boot loader. Then I can direct my own
boot loader to boot into that /boot partition for a particular distro
after which the distro's boot menu takes over.