[CentOS] Installing CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Thu Jul 17 13:38:41 UTC 2014

On 7/17/2014 8:40 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 06:37 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>> Not choosing a bootloader did not work. Without the ability to tell
>> the CedntOS7 installation to install its bootloader in my /boot
>> partition, I cannot use CentOS7. For me the CentOS7 developers have
>> really messed up.
>
> File a bug with Red Hat's bugzilla; CentOS just rebuilds that source,
> and bugs like this must be fixed upstream.

I do not blame CentOS. I think it was some Fedora programmers who
perpetrated this nonsense, but maybe it was Red Hat.

> There is other discussion around the web on this issue for GRUB2 (which
> is where the issue lies).  The core is that GRUB2 is quite a bit larger
> than GRUB 1, and thus it may or may not be safe to install to a
> partition.

I am a programmer myself. Gee it must be really hard to determine
whether enough space exists in a partition to install the GRUB2
bootloader <g>.

>  However, you can force it; one such post about doing this is at:
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/10666/install-grub2-to-a-partition/

Yes I now realize what I can do. Thanks !