[CentOS] Installing CentOS7 boot loader into the /boot partition

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Thu Jul 17 18:41:14 UTC 2014

On 7/17/2014 2:27 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 7/17/2014 6:38 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>> There is other discussion around the web on this issue for GRUB2 (which
>> I am a programmer myself. Gee it must be really hard to determine
>> whether enough space exists in a partition to install the GRUB2
>> bootloader <g>.
>>

> the stage 1 and 1.5 bootloader aren't in the file system, they are
> stored on the reserved first few sectors.   its possible core.img in
> grub2 is too large to store in the partition boot record space, I dunno
> how big that is.

Programming is about calculations as well as logic. It cannot be
impossible to calculate how big core.img is, how much space is in the
partition in which grub2 is installed and either tell the end-user it
can or cannot be done. Things like "it's bad to install grub2 into a
partition" mean nothing in the computer programming world. The first
rule of programming: the bit is on or it is off.