[CentOS] Some thoughts on systemd

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Jul 18 12:14:54 UTC 2014

Mark Tinberg wrote:

>>> But the only practical advantage of systemd that I've seen touted
>>> is that it speeds up boot-time.
>>> Even if this were true it does not seem to me worth worrying about,

> If the only practical advantage of systemd that you have seen touted has
> been boot time efficiency then you have been poorly served by your
> advisors.  For servers I think some of the largest advantages is that now
> you have a standard, built-in way to make your services highly available,
> both with explicit watchdog heartbeats and with automatic restarting on
> failure if you want, but not mindless restarting if the service is broken,
> you have a configurable hold down timer as well.

I did not say that boot-time is touted as the only advantage of systemd.
I explicitly said

  As far as I can see, the other reason for favouring systemd
  is more philosophical, and is based on the idea
  that the many different start-up routines
  share a considerable amount of common code,
  and that it is good to take out this code
  and put it in a separate process.
  That seems to me a good Unix-like argument.

It seems to me that the arguments you put forward fall into this category.
And I added the remark

  In principle this should simplify the algorithms involved.
  But it seems to me that the way in which it has been implemented
  has in fact increased the complication rather than the reverse.

a point that you have not answered.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net