[CentOS] CentOS to reside near a NTFS system

wwp subscript at free.fr
Sat Jul 19 22:12:27 UTC 2014

Hello John,

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:07:08 -0700 John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/2014 2:55 PM, wwp wrote:
> > nor
> > shrink the NTFS partition in order to install the CentOS6 system on
> > disk.
>
> I strongly dislike shrinking file systems in place, and prefer to backup
> the whole FS, repartition the disk, then restore the FS to the new
> smaller partition.   for Windows NTFS systems, I usually do this with
> Acronis True Image Home.
>
> but, I really dislike multibooting different OS's, its just a general
> pain.    there's all sorts of gotchas, for example: do NOT let the
> windows system hibernate instead of fully shut down if you're going to
> touch NTFS with another OS or you'll likely get some hellacious file
> system corruptions.

Well, to my (pretty long) experience in computers (though I'm still
asking for advice), I quite never met any of the points you're
mentioning, with dual boots and shrinking system FS's. Anyhow,
accepting your experience and thanking you for sharing it, I don't find
in you reply any answer to my question ;-).

Regards,

--
wwp