[CentOS] abrt relevance?

Ted Miller

tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 19:11:08 UTC 2014

I am trying to understand the relevance of the abrt program.  It pops up
automatically when somethings acts up, but I can't submit anything to RH,
because I haven't paid their fees.  It is a very bad user experience to go
through the whole process of describing what led up to the problem and get
to the end of the process and be rejected with an un-fixable error message
(because I didn't buy RHEL support).  It seems to me that either:

1. It should be modified so that it points to somewhere that I can file a
report (such a place probably doesn't exist).

or

2. It not automatically activated (because it is irrelevant to most users).

or

3. It should be modified so that it creates a file for submission.

Anybody have any reason to have it act the way it does on C6.5?

Ted Miller
Elkhart, IN

P.S. It would be nice if anyone has a hint about why KDE desktop keeps
giving me "Process /usr/bin/plasma-desktop was killed by signal 11
(SIGSEGV) errors.  My desktop (but not the windows on it) goes black.
Usually it comes back in 2-4 seconds, but sometimes it disappears and stays
gone.  Then I can switch windows with Alt+Tab, but can't open any new ones,
and the only way to log out is Ctl+Alt+Backspace.