[CentOS] [Solved]: Initial Boot from 6.3 minimal halts with strange video display

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Mon Jul 21 19:43:20 UTC 2014

On Mon, July 21, 2014 15:07, James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Mon, July 21, 2014 18:41:26 UTC, m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
> wrote:
>
> AUGH! That was *not* what I meant. Can you get it up, at least in
> singleuser mode? If so, lspci will probably tell you. Or lshw. Or
> dmidecode... or, for that matter, it might tell you in dmesg or messages.

I understood what you wrote.  But as I pointed out in my first message on this
subject I had already specified RL3 on the kernel command line and that did
not change the behaviour.  So, no I cannot get the system up to the point that
I can run anything, or at least see whatever output is created by whatever I
might be able to run.

But, as this is an experiment box I do not need a dedicated graphics card in
it.  So, having been prompted the open the case to discover the make of video
card,  I tried the (to me) obvious course of action to simplify things.  Which
worked to the extent I require.

The removed video card looks like some sort of oem job with no obvious (to me)
brand or manufacturer markings.  I cannot tell the chip maker because the
processor is covered by a fan and heat sink.  It is a half-height, full-length
PCI card with a marking that looks like a V followed by two 'C's one inside
the other, followed by an I.  The word TOPSEARCH is also present.

Canada  L8E 3C3