[CentOS] smartctl question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jul 24 18:29:44 UTC 2014

SilverTip257 wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> > I had a drive failing on a server. I've replaced it. The old drive was
>> > /dev/sdb; the new one's /dev/sdd. The manpage and googling are failing
>> > me- anyone know how to tell smartd to stop trying to read /dev/sdb
>> > (which I've pulled, and is sitting here on my desk)?  I don't need the
>> > garbage in the logs, and no, I can't just reboot the server, since it's
>> > a home directory server....
>> >
>> Following myself up, I just tried a simple service smartd restart, and
>> I'll see if that worked. But if anyone's got other ideas - I do *not*
>> want to have this last after a reboot, though, because I assume sdx
>> will change.
>
> Based on your comments about drive naming (sdX) ... you're using software
> RAID.

Nope. No RAID involved, just /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.

> I've never had problems with smartd keeping a hold on a drive ... anyways

Restarting the smartd service seems to have cured it - it was complaining
every half hour, and hasn't since the last one before I did the service
restart.
<snip>
I assume it knew what drives were supposed to be there, and it was all in
memory.

        mark