[CentOS] CentOS 6 and android connectivity (Nook)

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jul 29 16:15:45 UTC 2014

Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 11:01:42AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>

>> Tom Bishop wrote:
>> > As far as I know and I have played with a few, but never a nook (well
>> > actually I bought one and quickly returned it, due to the adobe drm
>> > stuff) you are going to have to play with mtp and most likely you will
>> > want to run a newer version that is not in the standard repos, maybe
>> > see what epel has.
>> >
>> > MTP is the choice for connections and can be a pain to get working and
>> > when you do it is clunky and slow.
>> <snip>
>> Hmmm.... Maybe my ubuntu netbook remix might work... and I know I can
>> rsync between it an my system.
>
> If it is using mtp than Ubuntu's version should work.  It might be called
> simple-mtpfs, not sure what they're using.
>
> (My Nook Color is older.  I plug it into a machine and it's just seen as
> an external USB drive.  I run dwm or openbox, so there is no Gnome
> automounting--whether or not that makes any difference, I have no idea.)
>
> For my android (you'll see long threads on both the forums and this list),
> which uses mtp, I got mtpfs working on one CentOS machine, but not others,
> and not on a FreeBSD machine.  Eventually, I just used the remote
> capability of ES file explorer, which let me put an a mini FTP server on
> the phone.  I don't know if the newer Nooks have something similar
> avaiable, but it might be the easiest way to do it.

I thought it would be as easy as my kobo (which started falling asleep on
me - that is, not responding to finger movements, until I turn it off and
on a few times. It was used, I may need to replace it), where it's just
usb, and I copy.

I did find this, while googling this morning:
<http://nuxref.com/2013/10/15/upgrading-the-mtp-support-on-centos-6/comment-page-1/>,
which led me to
<http://research.jacquette.com/jmtpfs-exchanging-files-between-android-devices-and-linux/>,
which I'll try this evening. I was hoping for extras, or elrepo, but no
joy.

       mark