[CentOS] CentOS 6 and android connectivity (Nook)

Ali Corbin ali.corbin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 23:28:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 6:38 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> So, I got my wife a Nook for her b'day. I just plugged it into my system,
> CentOS 6.5, and what I see is /media/NOOK, and it shows 257k or so - yes,
> k, not m or g. It's *not* seeing any directories, etc, and the small thing
> I'm guessing is firmware, since even when I try mount -o remount -rw, it
> is still r/o.
>
> Googling, I see mentions of fsmtp, I think it was, and yum shows some mtp
> libs, but I don't see anything that looks like a driver. Any suggestions
> (otherwise, I need to zip up the ebooks we want on her Nook, and take them
> downstairs to her's and the kid's system, Lose 8, er, Win8.
>
> I really need to solve this today - we're leaving shortly on vacation....
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>          mark

I've had this working in the past, with some combination of libmtp and fuse.

There are two gotchas.  One, it's a user-space driver, and is slow as molasses.
Two, if you normally lock your device you have to unlock it before the
transfer and then remember to lock it back up afterwards.

I gave up on mtp after a while and now just adb push the files over.
It's not as user friendly, but it's a whole lot quicker.

Ali