[CentOS] using Red Hat site for documentation

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 30 14:07:17 UTC 2014

This only can be said about the portion of their website that requires
username and password to access. Everything else (such as Documentation)
appears to be put out by them into public domain (that is you do not have
to agree to any terms when you enter the documentation portion of their
website), and therefore documentation can be used by anybody. This does
not include copying portion of that documentation and posting it elsewhere
(which separate - copyright - notice covers, I meant to say prohibits).

On a side note. RedHat as a commercial company that lives off open source
(mostly GNU licensed) software. And they to the best of my knowledge are
very good at following the terms of the license(s) themselves. That is:
they put out into public domain (make accessible) source RPMs and patches.
Exactly as GNU license requires them to. That, BTW, is why CentOS exists
quite legally. And even though I'm using CentOS on all workstations in the
Department and on several older servers (introduction and philosophy of
RHEL 7 made it clear that new servers will definitely be not CentOS 7, -
FreeBSD most likely), I feel no shame or feeling that I'm ripping off
RedHat. They do great job. They are paid by their customers for that. Our
University maintains contract with them. But in case of emergency, you
will faster go through to a solution if you are not going through some
pilot server, but can get necessary stuff directly (RHEL vs CentOS +
maintaining official CentOS public mirror in your server room).

Thanks.
Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator