[CentOS] Query regarding grub.conf in centos 6.5 iso

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Jul 31 14:56:55 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 06:57:17PM +0530, aravind J wrote:
> I am trying to customize centos 6.5 iso and have few questions.
> I can't get the significance of grub.conf inside the isolinux folder. I
> thought it would be used by anaconda to generate /etc/grub.conf. But it
> seems that is not the case. I tried to make some changes to it, which
> haven't had  any effect in /etc/grub.conf.
>
> So, may I ask what is the usage of that grub.conf in the iso?

That is used to boot the actual installer. As you discovered, it's not
related to what gets installed.

> And how can I alter the /etc/grub.conf that is getting generated by
> anaconda ( I don't want to manually edit it, but I want to add some extra
> configurations to it as part of installation)

There are two ways. First, you could edit the Python code in anaconda that
generates the bootloader configuration (and perhaps provide that as an
updates.img). Second, and what most people do: use sed or some other tool to
edit the generated grub.conf in kickstart post.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>