[CentOS] Balancing IRQs

John R Pierce

pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jul 29 06:32:40 UTC 2014

On 7/28/2014 11:16 PM, Jatin Davey wrote:
> When my application is running on the server i can see only one core
> being used heavily while the other cores are not being used much. My
> application has a major workload is collecting data from the eth0
> interface and then doing a lot of processing with the data in the
> database. So i can say that the Disk I/O and Network I/O are the major
> contributors towards the workload.

to use multiple cores, you need multiple processes or threads in your
application.

question:   is this processing happening as fast as the network and disk
can supply data?   an app processing data from a single network
connection and using a single database connection is not going to
achieve much concurrency.

btw, centos 5.4 is /way/ old, you're missing 5 years of security and bug
fixes.  5.10 was released last october.  a simple `yum update` will
bring all repository packages up to the current fix level.