[CentOS] centos plus kernel - moving it in and back out again

Fri Jul 11 23:19:22 UTC 2014
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

I have been reading the bug reports about the problem with initializing Logitech wireless devices using the current stock Centos 7 kernel.  It's my understanding that this issue will be fixed in the Centos Plus kernel.

However, I suspect that the issue will also be fixed at some point when Red Hat get around to fixing their kernel as well.

My main computer has a Logitech wireless mouse that's likely affected by the bug, though I haven't tried it yet to verify that.

One of these days I intend to get around to installing Centos 7 on this computer, and this will then become an issue.

If I install Centos 7 and then the Centos Plus kernel to get the Logitech bug fix, what happens when the stock Centos 7 kernel also gets the bug fix applied?  Will a standard "yum update" automatically find and download the new stock Centos 7 kernel and set everything up to it instead of the Centos Plus kernel?

I suppose I could go and hunt down a different mouse to use on this computer until the issue is resolved upstream, too.