[CentOS] Still won't boot - Re: remote yum update aborted with session closing - won't boot

Wed Jul 2 13:10:29 UTC 2014
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

> On 07/01/2014 06:25 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:19:32 -0400
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> How do I trouble shoot this?  I am assuming that I only got a partially
>>> completed update.
>> Try yum-complete-transaction and see what happens.
>
> Well it looks like all the updates 'took'  /etc/redhat-release now
> reports ver 6.5.
>
> But still getting a kernel panic and boot failing.  I can fall back to
> the prior kernel and it will boot.  So I tried to copy the lines off the
> monitor, as nothing is getting logged:
>
> IOMMU: failed to mpa dmn 0
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown_block (0,0)
> Pid:1, comm swapper Tainted: G  -------------} 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.i686 #1
>
> then a a number of dump lines.
>
> The kernel that is working (only other one listed in menu) is:
> 2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686

That is very old kernel. Try removing new kernel, and then reinstalling
it, and if that does not work try removing new kernel and installing one
before that, then one before that. Something like "yum install
kernel-2.6.32-279.22.1.el6.i686" should do it. List all kernels with
"yum list kernel*"

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)