[CentOS] Still won't boot - Re: remote yum update aborted with session closing - won't boot

Wed Jul 2 14:32:08 UTC 2014

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 07/01/2014 06:25 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 18:19:32 -0400
>> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>>> How do I trouble shoot this?  I am assuming that I only got a partially
>>> completed update.
>> Try yum-complete-transaction and see what happens.
>
> Well it looks like all the updates 'took'  /etc/redhat-release now
> reports ver 6.5.
>
> But still getting a kernel panic and boot failing.  I can fall back to
> the prior kernel and it will boot.  So I tried to copy the lines off the
> monitor, as nothing is getting logged:
>
> IOMMU: failed to mpa dmn 0
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown_block (0,0)
> Pid:1, comm swapper Tainted: G  -------------} 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.i686 #1

May I offer a suggestion, if it's still not booting on the new kernel? Try
bringing it up on the old one, then mkinitrd while running, so the initrd
has all necessary drivers.

        mark