[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS-7 on x86_64

Mon Jul 7 21:15:14 UTC 2014

On 07/07/2014 05:04 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> what shock?
>>>
>>> systemd was introduced in Fedora 15
> Wasn't there an upstart somewhere?
>
>>> current is Fedora 20
>>> most distributions switched to systemd
>>> so there is nothing new
>> And thus it is not in RHEL 6.  If an admin has not been working with
>> Fedora, then there is no experience with it.  Plus it was easy to ignore
>> systemctl in Fedora for a while, though by F18 it was hard to say the
>> least.
>>> nobody forces you to upgrade to RHEL7
>>> RHEL6 is maintained for many years
>>>
>>> any Fedora release contains a wrapper for "service"
>>> as well as RHEL7 does
>> Yes the wrapper is there, but at least on Fedora, I notice that related
>> items like chkconfig no longer worked as well, and I really needed to
>> buckle down and learn systemctl.
> I think I'll write an alias for chkconfig to systemctl. *bleah* As far as
> I'm concerned, it was a solution to something that wasn't a problem, just
> like this urge to make config files xml.

Oh, I don't mean that it is not there.  Rather it doesn't interact the
way it use to.  For example on F20:

chkconfig

Note: This output shows SysV services only and does not include native
       systemd services. SysV configuration data might be overridden by
native
       systemd configuration.

       If you want to list systemd services use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
       To see services enabled on particular target use
       'systemctl list-dependencies [target]'.

netconsole         0:off    1:off    2:off    3:off    4:off 5:off    6:off
network            0:off    1:off    2:off    3:off    4:off 5:off    6:off

Basically telling you to get with the program.