[CentOS] How to enable sound for other users but the one who owns the current session

Thu Jul 3 05:26:01 UTC 2014
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello Reindl,

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 01:52:27 +0200 Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 03.07.2014 00:37, schrieb wwp:
> > I'm trying to get sound from applications running from other users bug
> > the one who owns the current GNOME sessions.
> >
> > Typically, my default user is "A" and he's running the GNOME session,
> > logged in graphically. From this session, I open terminals, su to other
> > users (B or C, non-root) and run mplayer or firefox. No sound for these.
> >
> > Adding those users to the "audio" group didn't help. Any idea how to do
> > this?
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/SystemWide/

Thanks, that did help.

I copied /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11 to /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11-system,
and in this file, replaced --start with -system.

Added $MYUSERNAMEHERE ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11-system
to /etc/sudoers and modified the startup applications in GNOME prefs to
`sudo /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11-system` instead of `/usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11`.
Restarted computer, works.

Thanks to everyone else too, for your valuable help!

Regards,

--
wwp