[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 11:57:16 UTC 2014
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 06:50:21PM -0700, Russell Miller wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2014, at 6:34 PM, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > No systemd in FreeBSD.  It isn't Linux, and like any O/S, has its own
> > oddities.
> >
> > It would take more adjustment, IMHO, to go from CentOS 6.x to FreeBSD than
> > to go to 7.x.  (I'm saying this as someone who uses both FreeBSD and
> > Fedora which has given a hint of what we'll see in CentOS 7.)
> >

> That's a good point.  Systemd may be the "abomination of desolation" that
> causes me to finally start moving to a BSD variant.  Or at least start looking at one.

Y'know, I was considered a troll when I said on Fedora forums that systemd
going into server systems might start driving people away from RH to the
BSDs.  (And to be honest, I was being trollish there, in a friendly way--in
the same way at work I'll say something about Arch loudly enough for our
Arch lover to hear.)

Now that it's insinuated itself in the RHEL system, I do wonder if it is
going to start driving people away.  In many ways, IMHO, RH has become the
Windows of Linux, with no serious competitors, at least here in the US.
Sure, some companies use something else, but when I had to job hunt last
year, 90-95 percent of the Linux admin jobs were for RedHat/CentOS/OEL/SL
admins.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6