[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 13:25:49 UTC 2014
Adrian Sevcenco <Adrian.Sevcenco at cern.ch>

On 07/08/2014 04:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 08.07.2014 14:58, schrieb Adrian Sevcenco:

>>> No. I read some of
>>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_topic&q=systemd
>>>
>>> The systemd proponent, advocate and chief developer? wants to
>>> abolish /etc and /var in favour of having the /etc and /var data
>>> in /usr.
>> err.. what? even on that wild fedora thread this did not come up!!!
>>
>> i will presume that you understood well your information source and you
>> are actually know what you are referring to ... so, could you elaborate
>> more about this?(with some references)
>> i use systemd for some time (and i keep myslef informed about it) and i
>> would need to know in time about this kind of change..
>
> if you need to know about changes the read the systemd-devel list and announcements
> like http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-July/020903.html
>
> as so often the OP has no clue what he is talking about
> because he ignores systemd as many other things completly
> while think at the same time he can have a valid opinion
> in details
>
> systemd-upstream discusses how to get /etc and /var in default
> installs empty to contain *only user data* and no default
> configurations which are placed below /usr and can be overriden
> like systemd-units from the user
>
> the deeper reason is to achieve over long that a system can
> boot without any configuration and so provide a clean way
> for "vendor reset" in case of mobile devices, aplliances
> and where ever you want to ship a defined environment which
> can be reset at any point in time

Thanks for info ... actually i am (pretty much) up to date with what is
happening (i don't follow systemd-devel but i am following Lennart
Poettering and Kay Sievers on g+)

My remark was kind of tongue-in-chick with regard to "abolish" word..

And of the OP : the move of defaults to /usr is/was expected as from the
beginning the usr consolidation was prepared in order to have a common
system shared over network

And about new mechanics of systemd: i can wait to see how seamless will
be the use of chef/puppet tools on systemd systems. (and on any other
cloud stacks)

Adrian