[CentOS] Cemtos 7 : Systemd alternatives ?

Tue Jul 8 14:04:59 UTC 2014
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/08/2014 08:42 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
> On 08.07.2014 15:22, Steve Clark wrote:

>>> That presumes that your conservative attitude is the majority opinion
>>> though. Systemd is one of the features that I have been looking forward
>>> to in CentOS 7 because of the new capabilities it provides so while this
>>> will surely drive some people away it will actually attract others and
>>> if you think that this will lead to some sort of great exodus then I
>>> think you are mistaken. Not everybody is this uncomfortable with change.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>    Dennis
>> My concern it that it is a massive change with a large footprint. How
>> secure is it really? It has arguably become
>> the second kernel it touches and handles so many things.
> I agree but that is a change that you actively have to opt into though.
> CentOS 6 will receive updates for many years to come so you don't have
> to immediately migrate everything over in a rush. Also systemd is hardly
> new at this point. It has been available for years and had quite some
> time to mature. Red Hat would not have made it the core of its
> "Enterprise" OS if it didn't think it would be very reliable.
>
>> Maybe on desktops it makes sense - but I fail to see any positives for
>> servers that once started run for months at a time
>> between reboots.
> The ability to jail services and restrict it's resources is one big plus
> for me. Also the switch from messy bash scripts to a declarative
> configuration makes things easier once you get used to the syntax.
> Then there is the fact that services are actually monitored and can be
> restarted automatically if they fail/crash and they run in a sane
> environment where stdout is redirected into the journal so that all
> output is caught which can be useful for debugging.

And this is indeed the crux of the matter ... systemd is NOT just about
booting or boot up time (combing posts here .. but this is the answer
to, why use this on a server where fast booting is not important).

> Its certainly a change one needs to get used to but as mentioned above I
> don't think its a bad change and you don't have to jump to it
> immediately if you don't want to.

And this too .. try it, see if it meets your needs, if it doesn't you
still have 6.5 years with CentOS-6.5 support until you have to move.