[CentOS] beeps and a slow boot

Tue Jul 8 17:58:59 UTC 2014
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Tue, 8 Jul 2014, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014, Pete Travis wrote:
>>
>>> Asus and the like don't make BIOS, they get it from AMI or Phoenix or
>>> whatever.  It will usually say in POST screens or in the setup itself;
>>> failing that, it  might be etched on the chip itself.
>>
>> Thanks.  That enabled me to find
>> http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
> <snip>
>> The beep codes say memory.
>> I ran memtest86 overnight and it passed.
>> That said, I'm not sure how good memtest86 is.
>> Could you suggest a memory test program that might find
>> in a few hours what POST found in less than two minutes?
> <snip>
> 1. How many processors on the m/b? I don't mean cores....
> 2. If 1, take out *all* DIMMS but one, and boot. then add them back in.

Could you suggest memory test software that might find
in a few hours what POST found in less than two minutes?

If (more likley when) I crack the case,
I'll try the above program after reseating.

"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical
reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young
goat to your SCSI chain now and then."   --   John Woods